Cancer support, one slime at a time...



A few months ago, my 12 year old daughter decided to turn her love of SLIME into a business. Yes, I said SLIME.  She wanted to use her obsession and expertise in the world of GOO to open a shop on the homemade and crafty site,  ETSY. Yes, apparently, slime is a THING, and a popular one at that. This thing has been all over her room, her clothes, her rug, her desk, my hair, the dog's, and everywhere else. To be honest, I was nearly ready to ban it for good when my girl goes ahead and impresses me with this entrepreneurial idea for her passion. What Mother could say "no" to that? Always up for a teachable experience, I agreed.

And, with that, HONEYDUKES SLIME SHOP was born. Not just slime, but Harry Potter themed slime! What could be more fun than that?


While I was proud of her for creating a business, I became slimed-out very quickly, exhausted by the endless need for supplies, the constant making of it and the mess, don't get me started on the mess! Her room was no longer a place for sleeping, but merely a resting place for glue, glitter, charms, contact lens solution, plastic containers, beads, clay, corn starch and shaving foam. I felt like the words, "clean your room," translated in her brain to, "Make more slime." Mess marathon.

Five weeks ago, I let it go. Slime took the back burner. I was unexpectedly diagnosed with kidney cancer (see previous blogs on Kiki and Dexter, the kidney heroes) and needed my daughter to stay busy and creative in her downtime.  Instead of yanking something that brought her joy, I let her continue Honeydukes. Slime became her solace, stress release, her distraction while Mommy was getting scans, planning surgery and recovering...

When I returned from the hospital, the slime-athon in her bedroom had grown. I began to contemplate shutting the factory down. Then, my girl threw me a curve, a beautiful curve. She created a special slime.

Won't you mosey on over to her ETSY shop and, if you feel so inclined, check out her slime called "MOM'S SLIME." This one makes me super proud. All proceeds from the sale of this slime will go to CANCER SUPPORT COMMUNITY. www.cancersupportcommunity.org. For information on this amazing community, please read below and go to the website for more details.



About Cancer Support Community
As the largest professionally led nonprofit network of cancer support worldwide, the Cancer Support Community (CSC), including its Gilda’s Club affiliates, is dedicated to ensuring that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action, and sustained by community. CSC achieves its mission through three areas: direct service delivery, research, and advocacy. The organization includes an international network of Affiliates that offer the highest quality social and emotional support for people impacted by cancer, as well as a community of support available online and over the phone. The Research and Training Institute conducts cutting-edge psychosocial, behavioral, and survivorship research. CSC furthers its focus on patient advocacy through its Cancer Policy Institute, informing public policy in Washington, D.C. and across the nation. For more information, please call the toll-free Cancer Support Helpline at 888-793-9355, or visit www.CancerSupportCommunity.orgSo that no one faces cancer alone.®


Thank you for reading, for supporting and for helping those impacted by cancer, which is, well, pretty much all of us.

Be healthy, be joyful, 

Catherine 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dexter, the fearless kid

I ain't kidneying around here...

Dear Cancer